Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First Major Boycott

Some of you may already know this story, or may at least know that I don't shop at Radio Shack but never knew why. Well, here is the story, and my follow up since then.

The story starts about 8 years ago, around this time of year actually. With our new connection to a cable modem, we no longer needed the second phone line in the computer room. So, my parents moved the second line to my bedroom since I used it most regularly anyway. For Christmas, I got an answering machine for that line, so that all of my friends could leave messages and people would not have to bother answering the line (this was of course before everyone had cell phones and no need for all these extra lines and phone machines and what-have-you). So, how psyched was I? I had my own phone line, and an answering machine. My very own Radio Shack brand answering machine, purchased at the local mall.

About two weeks later, the answering machine started doing funny things. Often times it would pick up and say nothing other than static. Other times the messages it collected would be inaudible. My mom could not find a receipt, buy hey, it is a Radio Shack branded item. I am sure they will at least offer me store credit, or an even exchange, without the receipt...

My mom and I arrive at the mall, and the man at the register tells us that with no receipt he cannot take it back, nor can we exchange it. Store policy. We say, well that is silly, but you are a mere register man and not in control of store policy. Let's talk to a manager. So out he comes.

Sorry guys, can't take it back, store policy. We make the argument again that the machine is a Radio Shack brand item, so it had to be purchased from Radio Shack. What is the difference if there is a receipt or not? Can't do it. So, we ask for the information for the next step up, the Regional Manager. The manager gives us the information, and away we went.

When I got home, we talked about what I should say. Ultimately, I decided that if this manager also refused to take the item back, I should inform him that I am a 10th grade male, who loves video games, tvs, stereos, and anything electronic. If this is their store policy, then I would make it my policy not to shop at such a store. It was good to have a plan, but I figured there was no way it would come to this. The Regional Manager would see the rediculous nature of the event, issue the return, and all would be right in the world.

Amazingly, ten minutes later, there I was, telling the regional manager exactly that. I would never shop at Radio Shack as long as I live. He basically said OK.

Since then, I have kept to my promise. I believe I was forced into ordering some electronic components from Radio Shack one time at school because the professor teaching the course had all the part numbers and such. Aside from that order, I have not shopped there since. I have actually sent Radio Shack in the sky two letters since then, just mentioning the amount of money that I estimate I have spent at Best Buy since that event, and the amount of money I have spent at Radio Shack. Maybe it would be time for an update, though I hesitate to figure out how much I have spent at Best Buy in the past 8 years.

So that is my story. The lesson I learned here in trying to get your way from a company is to always have a plan of what you intend to say before you call them. If things go correctly, you will never need to say them (though occasionally this is frustrating, as you get all revved up for a fight, call them up, and they just fix your problem without putting up a fight. How rude?!?!). Having written and called so many places since then, this is still one of the most surprising episodes. I am still just amazed that this $20 machine could not even be exchanged for the same item, still being sold in those stores. Some of these places are just not interested in making money.

2 comments:

  1. For future reference, Walmart lets you return almost anything. Even things it didn't sell you. Granted, with it being a Radio Shack specific product, it might be harder, but most of the time no one cares and just gives you some store credit when you don't have a receipt. "My grandmom bought me this" works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that one still surprises me. Especially given how so many stores will take anything back, as KDawg mentioned. I think this has inspired me to post about a recent customer service issue that went really well.

    ReplyDelete