Monday, January 12, 2009

FiOS is Coming...

Or so Verizon would like to make you think. They have been putting these commercials out for a few years now, and I still can't get it in my area, nor can my parents. My brother and I discuss the commercial with the FiOS guy and the cable guy bumping into each other in the hallway, and the FiOS guy says he is doing a few installs and mentions the addresses. Then the cable guy says he is doing a few cancellations, and mentions the same addresses. Unless the houses they mention happen to be at a 5-way intersection, I just don't believe that there are that many people who even have access to FiOS. Either way, externally Comcast has not shown that they are worried about this even though no company could be too excited about a new, well established competitor.

Internally however, I have noticed a significant change in the customer service at Comcast since FiOS began popping up. When I lived at Drexel, we had a few issues when the internet would be out, or the cable would be fuzzy, and it took forever for them to show up or to care. Then I graduated, moved to Delaware, and got a new cable plan. I looked at Verizon then and they did not offer FiOS there yet, but they did have an internet and DirectTV package for $99/month. While I had no intention of using DirectTV due to the fact that most Flyers, Phillies games would be on comcast sportsnet, I told Comcast about this offer and they gave me that rate for 6 months with a free installation etc. Not bad to start.

6 months later, I now had my HD TV, so I was paying $13 per month for the HD DVR plus $3/month for the modem, then the $99. The promotional rate expired, and I got a bill in the mail for $140+. I decided that this was too much, called Comcast. The first person I spoke too told me about the promotions available, and none of them were very good. I said that I could not afford $140/month, so I guess I would have to cancel. She sent me to the retentions department. I think it is hilarious that cable, cell phone, and credit card companies have retention departments. Basically people who try to offer you whatever they can to keep you just a bit longer. Anyway, I spoke to a second lady, told her I used to pay $99, then with these other add-ons and the promotion expiring, it is now $140+ and I can't afford that, so I need to cancel. She asked me if I could afford the $99 from before, and I said yes but only if I still had what I used to. Done! Now I pay $99/month, no rental fees, and I still get the top tier digital cable with HD DVR and the internet.

In the end, I think Comcast still makes out because for them, the cable is already there in the neighborhood, it is just an issue of leaving a switch turned on or flipping it off. However, I appreciate that they realized something that many other companies do not. When faced with a "I can offer you this much money or cancel" situation, Comcast chose any number greater than $0. I will share stories in the future where companies chose the other option, but it left both parties moderately happy. I have since received several general notices about changes in prices for plans and so forth, but my plan remains $99/month, and has for a year now.

My suggestion to the readers is to call Comcast and try something similar. Tell them that what you are paying right now is just too much in this troubled economy, and that one of the first luxeries to go is going to be super hyper digital cable. I would be shocked it they say OK, it is off. I think you could talk them under $100 and keep everything you have, since they are struggling too. Just my thoughts. If anyone tries this, let me know how it turns out.

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to come up with the balls to make that call, but I know I should. We have so much crap, and we just added another DVR, that I'm afraid they're going to call my bluff. Was there ever any point in which it sounded like Comcast was going to say, 'OK sorry to lose you,' ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing, if they do almost do it, have them shut it off for a couple weeks from now. That way if they do schedule the cancellation, you can just undo it in a couple days "Oh we found the money. We didn't realize how much we'd miss it." You might look like a bit of a jackass, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right. And I can't imagine that they would not happily take your money in the end. It is a no lose really. You might sound like an ass to someone you will never meet. Heck, you don't usually worry about being an ass to people you do meet... so what's the big deal.

    ReplyDelete